Saturday, July 9, 2011

Salon Job Already??? could it really be??


So 2 days ago I called on a job posting for a job at a salon working casual which means only working 20 to 25 hours a week making between $20 to $25 an hour.

Over here they no longer regulate the cosmetology field, which is just insane, so basically what that means is that anyone can do hair, but good luck getting a job if you do not know what you are doing. They still do have younger girls doing apprenticeships which take 3 years to complete, and you really don't make that much money until you get more experience.

Good news for me that I am licensed in Utah with experience in doing hair so that makes me a Senior Hair Dresser over here.

So back to the ad I called the salon that posted the ad online for a casual worker, it said that I would be working Tuesdays from 3 til 5, then on Thursday night from 3 til 9 pm (the only night they stay open late over here) and then EVERY Saturday from 9 until 5 which is pretty standard in the hair business because Saturdays are the busiest days.

So she calls me back and says lets have you come in on Saturday from 11 until 2 to see how it goes (like a interview, weird that I didn't need to bring my own model)

So today I show up at 11 am and she really doesn't even greet me, and then she tells me that I am going to be there at the salon today until 4 pm (random) but I was still okay with it, she said that she had booked me a full appointment for today, but not until 2 pm... so you ask what did I do from 11 am until my appointment was supposed to come???

Well first her assistant (which was a family friend that just helps out around the salon, she doesn't do hair or anything) showed me around the salon briefly, very briefly.. the owner or that is what she said that she was didn't really talk to me. so after putting my few combs that I did bring with me and shears in my roller tray there they sat, as I stood around for the most part, tore up some foils not to mention that they used Kuene color and products there that I have never heard of, which no one went over with me.

I learned how to make tea for the customers, and coffee, and espresso with biscuits and sugar, and also did the dishes.. so I was a bit confused as to what job I was being interviewed for the service girl or a actual hair dresser.. needless to say the closest I got to any hair was from sweeping it after they would finish hair cuts and colors.

So then I went and talked to the owner and asked her what all equipment that I would need to get, and she said that I was not even guaranteed the job, but earlier in the day she was telling me my schedule and putting my name on the books.. weird.. I know.. it didn't make any sense to me either. So being that I was getting nowhere close to doing hair, and just became a free, yes I said FREE service girl, because she wasn't going to pay me for the 5 hours today since it was an interview, I decided to leave after 3 hours, and I just told her that this was not going to work for me, and she said that it was fine.

So I am already onto looking for another salon job here.. I think that one was a bit shady to began with as far as paying people, and she would tell you one thing and then tell you something completely different. Also I just didn't have a very good feeling about it right when I got there. So I am chalking this one up as another lesson learned, and at least I know that I can work in a cafe serving tea, and coffee, and espressos.. lol. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment